Saturday, June 4, 2011

Another month has flown past

Obviously I have not gotten into the routine of blogging. Major fail, or minor quirk?
I'm hoping it is a minor quirk.
How was the merry month of May for you? How did it come and go so fast? Our May started off unusually cold and rainy. Some nearby areas have seen major flooding and one area a few miles east had a tornado. Since there have been numerous devastating tornadoes it hardly seems right mentioning the nearby storm.
The thing is, we don't usually see tornadoes in the great northeast. Once and a long while the right weather phenomena occurs to create the right conditions, but it isn't usual.
Another unusual thing that occurred in May was the death of a co-workers child. Horrible, devastating. I am thrilled to report, we have an enlightened boss who closed our site for a bereavement day. Or maybe it was because she knew we would all want to be there for our co-worker when she had to bury her child. In any case, we had the day off.
What do you say to someone who is facing the worst thing possible? Parents are not supposed to bury a child--it is just wrong. What is there to say? I heard phrases like: "He is at peace now."
Really? How does that provide comfort?
Another phrase overheard was: "He has shed his broken body. Now that he is in heaven he can walk and run and play like any normal child."
Really? I wanted to smack the person.
I walked up to my co-worker wondering what do I say? I pulled her into my arms still wondering and hear her say, "You are the one person, I believe, that may have an inkling of the pain I am in."
She has often alluded to the fact that we are/were raising children with disabilities and we belonged to this special, different sisterhood.
When my daughter was so very ill at the end of March, I had a few hours of severe worry that she would not survive. It was nightmare-frightening. Maybe I do have an inkling of the pain she is in, but it is not the same. I sure have been hugging my girls a lot more in the past week.
I ache for my friend's pain and her loss.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy!
    I just found your blog! Would you do me a favor and e-mail me? Wendy @ WendySMarcus.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes just being there is the best thing you can do for someone who is hurting. So sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I can't even imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only barely imagine. My middle daughter has had several shaky medical episodes--the most recent this past March. Fortunately she has pulled through them, but I know her lifespan is likely much shorter than her sisters.

    My friend has returned to work, but she has dark shadows beneath her eyes and moments of pain where she must leave the room for brief bits. The courage she demonstrates by really being there for the children in our program is amazing, heroic even.

    ReplyDelete