Saturday, January 21, 2012

Success

At the beginning of this month I wrote about setting a goal:

  • This year my goal is to write 1000 words per day. I set the goal on December 6th--okay, so that was still in the year of 2011, however, why quibble? I set the goal and so far, 33,369 words later, in less than a month, I am have reached a halfway mark on completing another manuscript.
This morning I wrote, The End, and closed the file. I will open it back up tomorrow and start the revising/rewriting process tomorrow. But 55,266 words later I met one goal--I kept at it, writing some days 1-3k words and other days struggling a bit.


Another writer I know shared a website 750words.com where a writer can write and not share his or her words. But there are built in rewards in the program. I have also been writing there every day since I found the website. I have managed to come up with three story ideas there, and copied and pasted them to a story idea file. So writing, creating the habit sometimes yields surprising results.

By no means does this mean the ideas and words will always flow because I'm doing this, but it is helping me right now. Is it Nora Roberts who has said, "You can't revise a blank page," or something like that?

So I write. Some of the words are dreck, but those are words that will never see the light of day. At least that's my hope. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Well done Nancy! Once you get into the habit, it's surprising how easy it becomes. I find you think about your story more and by the time you sit at the keyboard you already know what the next 1000 words will be. Much better than staring at a blank page.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I miss our dog -- the fact that I no longer have a dog to walk the moment I get in from work has helped. I am now using the writing as a transition from work to home.

    ReplyDelete